Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day! We had a quiet day. We both worked then agreed that we wanted a light meal--fruit for me and Lar was still full from eating at China Cafe last night with the Wests. I made Lar strawberry shortcake for Valentine's Day and will take him to dinner later on. Ali the Dog gave him Double Stuff Oreo cookies. She knows the way to his heart. Lar gave me a snuggle--the blanket with sleeves and a reading light. We'd just gotten comfortable and all set to watch Mama Mia when this rather dramatic storm hit--horrible hail and lightning and lights out. For the second time in a week we had to rely on our emerency supplies. I have lots of candles and Lar had bought a case of those light sticks that last for 12 hours and they do. Oh, yeah, I had (notice I said had) a kerosene lamp which we used the first night that it stormed. But as I was putting it away, I dropped it. It broke spilling a full base of kerosene. Anyone know how to get the smell of kerosene out of the floor or out of your washing machine? I've mopped a dozen times. Used towels to sop it up and washed the towels in my machine. It's been 4 complete washes now--not getting better. But I will prevail!!! My house downstairs smells like the old houses from back when which used kerosene lamps all the time. Yuckie!!
Anyway, the storm passed and the power came back on about 2 hours after it went out.

I have a great concern that Cutie Pie, our library pet and mascot, might be dying. He is a beautiful goldfish with magnificent tail and fins. Today (but he's done it before)he was swimming on his back. Yeah, he lies on his back moves his fins a little, opens his mouth ocassionally and blinks. And then he'd go racing all around the tank and swimming straight up and diving down. Then he'd just float up. It was kind of wild. I love that little fish. I've saved his life 3 times now--once with CPR. Anyway, we are planning to get him a bigger tank and maybe a friend. Who knows what I'll find on Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Sandy I love reading your posts. You crack me up. Good luck with the kerosene smell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eww!!! CPR!?!?! hee hee, you mean the Heimlich, remember?

    ReplyDelete